Resident Bill of Rights
Click the links below to view our Resident Bill of Rights:
Click the links below to download our Resident Handbook:
Spiritual / Religious Care
The SRC department of Villa St. Gabriel Villa values compassionate and holistic resident and family centered care. We recognize, respect and respond to all residents and their families’ diverse spiritual and religious needs. The SRC department accomplishes this goal by ensuring that all residents, families, staff members and volunteers at Villa St. Joseph’s Villa are supported and assisted in maintaining her/his preferred spiritual and religious observances, practices and affiliations.
SRC Mission Statement: To provide Spiritual and Religious Care to people of all faiths, beliefs, and cultures by attending to the whole person (body, mind and spirit). We accomplish our mission by being committed to integrity, dignity, respect, accountability, compassion and excellence.
The Guardian Angel program is one way we journey with our residents and families at end-of-life. In alignment with our mission statement, our team is committed to care and support residents and their loved ones in the following ways:
• To fulfill the wishes of a dying resident, ensuring dignity and respect through the final journey.
• To provide effective pain management and provide support for symptoms.
• To provide psychological, social and spiritual support to the resident, family and significant others. A chaplain and social worker are available to speak with and will visit unless directed otherwise.
• To provide an environment that supports grieving for the family and provides support in preparing for the death of their loved one.
• To encourage families to journey with loved ones, especially in their final days.
• To provide ethical support to the resident, families and staff facing difficult decisions.
Feel free to preview our Guardian Angel literature (English, SJ Guardian Angel Booklet, French, Le Programme Ange Gardien).
Do not hesitate to reach out to the SRC department. We are here to serve.
Calendar of Services… Information to follow….
Life Enrichment Programs
Each resident comes to us with a unique life story, interests and needs. The Life Enrichment Department recognizes this and develops programs to meet individual and group needs in the physical, cognitive, social and emotional domains. The goal of the department is to incorporate restorative care into all activities and programming by empowering and engaging residents as active participants in their leisure pursuits. Through assessment, Life Enrichment Assistants identity each residents’ interests, strengths and abilities to ensure leisure fulfillment through personal meaningful activity, and optimal physical well-being through strengthening and range of motion exercise classes. Activities are offered 7 days a week, on holidays and include a variety of day and evening programs as well as a number of monthly outings. The department works closely with Volunteer Services, facility Chaplain, Registered Social Worker as well as the Physiotherapist and Physiotherapist Assistants to develop a holistic, personalized plan of care for each resident.
Example Life Enrichment Programs:
- Physical: Strengthening and range of motion exercise classes, walking groups, bocce, bowling, curling, and one-to-one physical programming.
- Cognitive: Bingo, mind joggers, trivia, reminiscence, technology-focused programs, horticulture and art programs, cooking and baking, Montessori and sensory programs.
- Social: Happy hours, live entertainment, intergenerational, neighbourhood teas, seasonal celebrations, Recreation Committee, Skype, dining clubs and community outings.
- Emotional: Spa programs, pet visits, I-pod program, movie days and additional music programs.
Make a Wish Program
Villa St. Gabriel Villa (VSGV) is committed to promoting a zero tolerance of abuse or neglect of its residents. The mission and values of the Villa set standards of behaviour for all those people who choose to live or work in our home. In its commitment to zero tolerance of abuse or neglect, VSGV strives to provide a safe, healthy and supportive environment for all.
Residents will be free from abuse by staff, volunteers, visitors and other residents. Each resident has the right to raise an issue and be assured of a full, equitable investigation in the event of resident abuse or neglect.
Any employee or volunteer who witnesses, or becomes aware of, or suspects resident abuse shall report it immediately to the Director of Care/Administrator/delegate (e.g. RN in Charge during off hours), who will ensure a thorough and confidential investigation is initiated.
Any employee accused of resident abuse has the right to a thorough and fair investigation. Employees who abuse a resident will be disciplined up to and including dismissal.
Any resident complaints regarding separate issues will be investigated under the resident complaint process as described below.
Feedback, Compliments, Complaints
We Care What You Think brochures are located in the lobby at Villa St. Gabriel Villa. These forms give you the opportunity to recognize someone for great work, or to offer a suggestion for improvement. These forms can be left in the suggestion box in the lobby. Feedback is brought to the most appropriate manager to review and follow up.
Click the links below for more information: