Looking for an exciting career opportunity? Come work at a hospital where you can make a difference, working with an interdisciplinary team and building a geriatric rehabilitation program to service the frail elderly in our community.
St. Joseph’s Continuing Care Centre of Sudbury is a 64-bed rehabilitative care facility that has transitioned over 2000 people back to home or community since it opened in 2009, with an average patient age of 81 years. We are in the process of expanding our medical service to include a fully functional geriatric rehabilitation unit. The scope of practice for the Geriatrician will include the diagnosis, treatment, health promotion and prevention of disease and disability in elderly population ranging. The Geriatrician will deal with health problems that frequently affect older adults, such as pain, falls, memory loss, incontinence and medication side effects, as well as evaluating elderly patients’ ability for self-care.
This attractive opportunity offers the following incentives:
- Joseph’s Continuing Care Centre already has a Geriatric Rehabilitation Unit (GRU), which requires the influence of a Geriatrician to achieve its full potential.
- There is a full-time Geriatric Assessor on site assigned to the team of the Geriatrician.
- There is a fully functioning interdisciplinary team already in place, consisting of Physicians, RNs, RPNs, Consultant Geriatric Pharmacist, OTs, PTs, Dietitian, Social Worker, Chaplain, and Recreational Therapy.
- Joseph’s Continuing Care Centre has established close working relationships with the two Geriatricians in the community (at Health Sciences North and North East Specialized Geriatric Centre)
- Positive work-life balance with no on-call responsibilities, and flexibility in your work schedule.
- Guaranteed salary in AFP
Additional opportunities include the possibility of faculty appointment at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine (NOSM). Health Sciences North (HSN) and North East Specialized Geriatric Centre (NE SGC) are teaching affiliates and there is an opportunity to supervise medical trainees, and actively participate in the ongoing development and supervision of trainees in the Family Medicine PGY3 year of Enhanced Skills in Care of the Elderly. Research opportunities are also available with HSN’s affiliated research, HSNRI and NOSM.
Interested applicants must possess the following qualifications:
- Must have completed their specialist training in geriatric medicine and/or internal medicine with experience in Geriatric Care.
- Possess or be eligible for membership with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and/or the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, in good standing
- Proficiency in the English language. Proficiency in French would be considered an asset.
Set in a recreational paradise, Sudbury is known for its exceptional quality of life, crystal clear lakes, parklands, scenic attractions and magnificent wilderness surroundings. With 330 lakes, world-renowned attractions, urban comforts and four-season outdoor adventures, Greater Sudbury will impress the outdoor enthusiasts to the leisure seekers. Sudbury has something for everyone. Sudbury is a bilingual community, and offers a variety of excellent elementary, secondary, and post-secondary education institutions. Home of Northern Ontario’s most popular tourist attraction and an educational resource for children and adults across the province, Science North maintains the second and eighth largest science centres in Canada. Science North, featuring an IMAX® theatre, digital Planetarium, butterfly gallery and Special Exhibits Hall, and Dynamic Earth – Home of the Big Nickel, an earth sciences centre.
If you are currently practicing or within one year of graduating, St. Joseph’s Continuing Care Centre would cover travel and accommodation expenses for both you and your spouse to come and explore this practice opportunity and the City of Greater Sudbury. Relocation assistance is also available to the successful candidate. Interested individuals should send a letter of interest and a curriculum vitae to the Chief of Staff, Dr. Maurice St. Martin, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 705-674-9550. All qualified individuals will be contacted.