Media Release: June 2021
Who We Are
St. Joseph’s Health Centre oversees the operation of the Village of Care Campus located on South Bay Road which includes St. Joseph’s Villa, a 128-bed long term care home and St. Joseph’s Continuing Care Centre, a 64-bed complex continuing care hospital which is co-located on this site. St. Joseph’s Health Centre also operates Villa St. Gabriel Villa, a 128 bed long term care home located in Chelmsford, Ontario. Moreover, in April 2020, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, St. Joseph’s Health Centre opened 60 hospital beds at the Clarion Hotel site in downtown Sudbury to help decant Alternate Level of Care and rehabilitation patients from Health Sciences North to ensure ample COVID-19 beds were available in the system.
Our administrative team supports all four facilities and manages clinical, operational, financial and planning services. We are a faith-based organization guided by our core values of Service, Integrity, Dignity and Excellence with a focus on a culture of caring.
St. Joseph’s Health Centre of Sudbury held its Special Annual Meeting on June 24, 2021. Highlights included:
- Small surpluses at each of St. Joseph’s Villa and Villa St. Gabriel Villa
- St. Joseph’s Continuing Care Centre opened the Clarion hotel site in April 2020 which introduced 60 new rehabilitation beds to the Sudbury Community
- Surveys indicated that both staff and patient/resident satisfaction results went up from the year prior.
- March 28th 2021 marked the 10th anniversary of VSGV
- Virtually launched the Caring Beyond Capital Fundraising Campaign. To date $3.2 of the $4.2 M has been raised.
- Launched a 50/50 campaign. Please go to Stjoessudbury5050.ca to purchase tickets
- Celebrated the Sisters of St. Joseph’s of Sault Ste. Marie Awards of Excellence recognizing those individuals who engage and empower our people in meaningful ways and nurture a culture where every voice is heard.
This year’s recipients are as follows:
St. Joseph’s Continuing Care Centre
- Dr. Mike Aniol
- Alison Antonio
- Linda Masse
- Lyn Garnett
- Cailin Jones
St. Joseph’s Health Centre
- Monique Brown
- Chase Coutu
St. Joseph’s Villa
- Renee Bosse
- Donna Desormeaux
- Laurie Frank
- Alicia Prediger
Villa St. Gabriel Villa
- Rebecca Aubrey
- Crystal Jonasson
- David Long
- Josee Park
- Approved a new Board Chair, Daniel Sirois. Mr. Sirois is a partner with the law firm Weaver Simmons LLP. Mr. Sirois was born and raised in Sudbury. His practice includes commercial and civil litigation and construction law. M. Sirois practices law in both official languages. He has served on numerous Boards in the community over the past years and many of them in the role as President. We are pleased to have him on the Board.
Daniel Sirois, Board Chair
- Welcomed new Board member Mia Bourque, who identifies as a member of the Indigenous community.
- Thanked past Board members Aaron St. Pierre and Laura Freeman for their years of service. We wish them well in the future.
Comments from André Durette, Past Chair
“For many of us, the COVID-19 global pandemic has tested our strength and our resilience in ways we could not anticipate. During this turbulent time there were days where the challenges ahead seemed overwhelming. But there were others where we saw the light and were able to celebrate small victories. The pandemic is unlike anything most of us have seen in our lifetime. The situation continues to evolve and with every change, our teams at each site have risen to the challenge, reassessing our efforts, strategizing and retooling our approaches. Through all of it, our senior and front-line teams-clinical and non-clinical-have risen to the challenge with service, integrity, dignity and excellence. Because of them, we have been prepared to care for our patients and residents now and in the coming months. For this, we cannot thank them enough. They are all true rock stars“ stated André Durette, Chair.
Comments from Jo-Anne Palkovits, President and CEO
“For the past 12 months our team has invested most of its time into embracing and navigating our new way of doing business suited to the St. Joe’s way. We were forced to modify instantly our habits and discover a new norm for work and living. It has been a roller coaster and has affected the lives of everyone. Despite following ALL COVID-19 measures we did lose 3 residents to this disease. This was devastating for everyone. But through this collective experience we continue to discover new strength. Our values are shining through in beautiful ways. None of the accomplishments of the past year would be possible without the passion and dedication of our incredible staff, physicians, nurses, allied health professional, learners, volunteers and our St. Joseph’s Auxiliary and St. josephs’ Foundation. I would like to acknowledge the strength in our team. Each member works tirelessly, harnessing all their energy and skills to meet the needs of our patients and residents. Thank you to all our staff for their courage, their strength, their excellence and their professionalism. You continue to go above and beyond. There is no way to describe this level of selfless giving other than exceptional. You are all healthcare heroes-our Rock Stars!” stated Jo-Anne Palkovits, President and CEO
Finally, Jo-Anne Palkovits announced her retirement effective January 1st, 2022 after more than 20 years of dedicated years to the St. Joseph’s organizations. During her tenure the organization grew from 5 to almost 1000 employees as a result of building three new entities- St. Joseph’s Villa (opened in 2003), St. Joseph’s Continuing Care Centre (opened in 2009), and Villa St. Gabriel Villa (opened in 2011). All buildings were built on budget and on time. Most recently she worked with community partners to open 60 additional hospital beds at the Clarion site during the COVID-10 pandemic. She is hopeful these will be turned into permanent beds at another site in the coming months. Recruitment for a new CEO has already been started through a Search Committee of the Board of Directors.
Jo-Anne Palkovits, President & CEO
St. Joseph’s Health Centre
Information: Tanya Gil-Alfau, Board Liaison 705-674-2846 ext. 2104