St. Joseph’s Villa of Sudbury celebrated its 10th year anniversary on December 1, 2013. In honour of this momentous occasion, dignitaries, residents, family members, staff and volunteers attended a special mass and celebratory event held on November 29, 2013.
His Excellency Most Reverend Jean-Louis Plouffe of the Diocese of Sault Ste. Marie provided a special mass in recognition of St. Joseph’s Villa’s 10th anniversary. A host of dignitaries and special guests including: Sr. Sarah Quackenbush, Sister of St. Joseph of Sault Ste. Marie; Marianne Matichuk, Mayor of the City of Greater Sudbury; and Glenn Thibeault, MP Sudbury, along with current and former Board members, community partners and supporters were in attendance.
Jo-Anne Palkovits, Administrator took the opportunity to also thank those in the building and ongoing oversight of St. Joseph’s Villa and added “the most important and heartfelt gratitude that I have today is for our residents. You are the reason we are here today and every day for the past 10 years”.
Since its opening on December 1, 2003, St. Joseph’s Villa has had many firsts and acknowledgements:
- a successful three-year accreditation by Accreditation Canada in November 2012;
- has maintained a balanced budget for 10 consecutive years;
- has successfully recruited top notch an caring staff;
- has a 99% occupancy rate;
- the creation of the Guardian Angel program, our palliative care program which was just this month received the OHA’s Small Rural, Northern Ontario’s Award of Excellence for clinical excellence;
- the development of 2 Healing Gardens with the assistance of the St. Joseph’s Foundation, students and volunteers to allow our resident the opportunity to enjoy outdoor spaces and garden;
- the establishment of a partnership with Laurentian Universities that have led to the numerous student placements as well as research projects related to PIECXES, music therapy and palliative care; and
- the celebration of many special birthdays and anniversaries of our residents.
Ehren Baldauf, Chair of St. Joseph’s Villa Board of Directors stated, “As a Board we feel honoured that we have been able to build on the tradition of the Sisters of Sault Ste. Marie by meeting the unmet need in the community and rising to the challenge of funding, building and operating this beautiful home – a home that 128 residents at any given time call home.”
In recognition of the 10th Anniversary, the St. Joseph’s Foundation presented a cheque to St. Joseph’s Villa in the amount of $10,000. Since the Foundation’s resurrection in 2002 under the guise of Gerry Lougheed Jr., Sr. Bonnie MacLellan and Jeanne Warwick-Conroy we have been fortunate to work with the community to raise much needed dollars for the Villa and the residents served. “The Foundation looks forward to working with you for at least another 10 years”, stated Gale Prosperi, St. Joseph’s Foundation member.
Information: Tanya Gil-Alfau, Executive Assistant / Board Liaison 705-674-2846 ext. 2104